Professional Learning Support Team
Each principal is asked to identify a team of staff members to form the school’s Professional Learning Support Team (PLST). The PLST should include an assistant principal, the school’s PD Liaison, and other key PD leaders. The PLST will serve as the key driver of change in professional learning practices at schools. The role of the PLST is to support the development and implementation of a high-quality site-based professional development plan that:
- Promotes a school culture of professional growth and collective responsibility for student learning
- Enhances educators’ professional growth and effectiveness
- Positively impacts student achievement
The support activities that the PLST should conduct are:
- Determine the professional learning needs of the staff by reviewing a variety of data sources and conducting a needs assessment survey of the staff.
- Collaborate with the principal to develop a year-long professional development plan that addresses the identified needs.
- Facilitate establishment of professional learning communities and other models of teacher collaboration.
- Monitor the quality of professional development activities and the fidelity to the included models of professional learning.
- Evaluate the success of professional learning activities as indicated by changes in classroom practice and impact on student learning.