Professional Pathway to Certification (P2C)
Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) is committed to providing high quality educational services to all learners. The primary goal of the Professional Pathway to Certification (P2C) is to expand the pool of educators to include non-education majors who share this commitment to student learning, achievement, and opportunity.
M-DCPS has developed a program that includes methods for identifying each applicant's entry-level teaching competencies, and requires each applicant to:
- have expertise in the subject and meet requirements for specialization in a subject area for which a professional certificate may be issued under this chapter and rules of the state board;
- complete the program within the validity period of the existing Temporary Educators Certificate; and
- achieve passing scores on the professional education competency examination required by state board rule
The Professional Pathway to Certification (P2C) is state-approved teacher preparation program designed to provide non-education majors the opportunity to complete a program designed to meet the professional education coursework requirements for issuance of a professional certificate. Program participants have two years to complete the program. Beginning in the 2015-2016 school year, P2C will no longer accept teachers that are on the last year of their temporary teaching certificate. P2C applications for fall are due by August 31, 2016 and winter by December 18, 2016. In order to be eligible for participation in the P2C, applicants must:
- be full-time instructional employees of M-DCPS in a teaching assignment that does not vary daily and be certified to hold said position;
- hold or be eligible to hold a three-year temporary certificate issued by the Florida Department of Education (FDOE), Bureau of Teacher Certification; and
- possess at least a Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accepted institution, and meet the subject area requirements in a subject area for which a professional certificate may be issued.
- have sucessfully passed the General Knowledge Exam (GK)